Friday, December 18, 2009

Thunder In Our Hearts

Thunder In Our Hearts

At the beginning of the year, the phrase “thunder in our hearts” began to stick in my head. This is usually how lyrics for a song develop in my mind, sometimes inspired by a person or an event. Other times it’s just a few words that sound nice together and convey an interesting image, and then a meaning and concept that start to develop around those words until I add more to them and they either end up becoming a poem or a set of lyrics.

“Thunder In Our Hearts” began like this, but it took me a while to create the rest of lyrics. I had a vague idea in my head of what the song was about, what I wanted to convey through it. So over the next few months, slowly the idea became clearer and started to grow as I added to the words and the song began to take form.

Those who know me well know I have a strong romantic streak and this song very much proves it. It’s about two people who discover they have feelings for each other, feelings that might have been there for some time but that remained a quiet, distant rumbling, repressed and (perhaps purposely) overlooked until one day it brews into a storm and they can’t ignore it anymore.

I think sometimes you have to admit to yourself how you feel about someone before that person can recognize what they feel about you. I know from personal experience that I often feel like running away from someone if I have strong feelings for them which I don’t think will be returned. But there comes a time when what you feel becomes so overwhelming that even drowning your heart in the sea can’t silence what you feel.

So this song is about an awakening, in a sense, of two people’s love for each other. I finished it a few months ago and wasn’t sure what to do with it then. I didn’t know if I wanted to keep it and maybe use it for a future album, make it a single release or even just leave it on the proverbial shelf. But, I finally decided I wanted to put it out there. There was just something about it that I thought needed to be shared with those who wanted to hear. Sometimes a piece of creative work takes on a life or an identity on its own, and I feel that this one has a desire to be out there, freely.

If you’re one of those who are curious about it, you can follow this link to download it and give it a listen.

"there is no denying that we feel the same
there is no silence to the thunder in our hearts"
- Fran Czeska

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails