Monday, January 11, 2010

On Turning 27

Seeing as my birthday is only ten days off the start of a new year, I usually tend to feel like the year hasn't really begun until I've had my birthday. Those days between New Year's Day and the 10th are a kind of limbo feeling; some years it's nice just hanging experiencing those days, anticipating what a new life year will bring, other years it's annoying and I'm impatient to get things started.

This time around, a lot of things seemed to happen and fall into place in those ten days, and I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of my new life year. The day was a quiet one, spent with family and a friend, but it was more about the promise and possibilities it held for the year ahead than the day itself.

Last year (26 and 2009) was an interesting one. I'm not going to say it was good or bad since it had a lot of both, but overall it was interesting. It was also an emotional year, filled with lots of stops and starts, brief but intense experiences and a whole bunch of endings and beginnings. There have been some challenges, especially the last few months, in personal, financial and health aspects of my life, some that are still ongoing but that I find are teaching me a lot about myself.

You never know what the future will bring, but I do feel that this year will continue to be a challenging one. I think it will challenge me on whether or not I'm ready to accept the things in life that I really want. Sometimes when you wish for something and it begins to unfold in real life, you find yourself both in awe of it and at the same time scared that you won't be able to handle it. I think this year will challenge me to accept that I can have what I desire, and that in order to do so I have to let go of the self-created fear surrounding it.

So here's to my 27th year, a year that I am very grateful to have arrived at. The view is not so bad from here, and even though I get vertigo, I look forward to going higher.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails