Sunday, March 07, 2010

Last Night at Danceland

A few random things I learned/observed while being out on the town last night with some fab friends that you probably couldn't care less about:

  1. There can be a major gap between English and Afrikaans gays. I was raised Afrikaans, but I've always managed to switch seamlessly between between the two cultures in a way. Some people just can't do it, however, and the results are often baffling and quite hilarious.
  2. Drag queens are a hoot. Unless it's someone you intensely dislike. Then you just want to rip their wig off.
  3. No matter who you are or where you're from, going to the Gat party for the first time shocks your socks. And then it rocks and keeps you coming back for more.
  4. Bad Romance is officially the biggest song on the dancefloor at the moment. It's been a long time since I've seen a dancefloor so utterly transformed by one song. Raised the roof!
  5. It's such a cool sight to behold the GWABs (Gay White Afrikaans Boys) getting down to Brenda Fassie. Reminds me what I love about this country. And Brenda rocks, of course.
  6. Langarming is often more fun to watch than do if you're sober. It's like a spectator sport, almost, and sometimes reminds me of something out of They Shoot Horses, Don't They? When you've lifted the elbow a few times, though, it's the greatest thing in the world! (pun intended)
  7. It was a good idea to take the N7 and from there the N1 to town. I arrived just after midnight, meaning I could park at the Cape Quarter all day Sunday for just R5! Yay!
  8. I would rather run across the road to the Cape Quarter than use the toilets at Crew. They freak me out. You have to squirm yourself through packed dancefloors and hope you don't pee yourself by the time you get there.
  9. I am invisible in a club. Not even the people I know recognise me. Do I look that different in club lighting? This can be both good and bad.
  10. I prefer upstairs at Crew to downstairs, but I'm not sure if the sauna atmosphere really works for me. Oh, and for some reason that place always reminds me of the Order of the Phoenix headquarters, the old Black family house. I keep expecting Bellatrix to make an appearance at any second.
  11. Once you lose your friends inside a club, it's a bit of a nightmare trying to find them again. Luckily most of us are sort of tall, so that helped.
  12. Don't hug the wired palm tree (I think it was a palm tree...) outside next to the porch. It will shock you and make you giggle. Also, the people sitting on the porch seemed to think it was a nice idea to throw glass at us.
  13. There was a fellow who was dragged off the porch and parked in the doorway of Adam & Eve, clearly drunk off his hat. Oh, and his pants were around his ankles. What? Pants on the ground, pants on the ground! (You look like a fool with your pants on the ground.)
  14. Oh, and then there was a rather well-dressed waify looking girl who kept clicking up and down the sidewalk in front of Crew in her heels, looking as if she'd lost something. Judging by her expression and the way she was mumbling, I'd say it might have been her mind.

All in all, this has been one of the funnest nights out that I've had so far this year, even though I went home just before 2AM. Usually I can last a little longer than that on a Saturday night.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails